Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Garden Kids

Decided this year to give 4 ft. plots in one of the beds to O and Bubs. I used that cheap wire bed edging to fence them off.
O and I sat down with the seed packets and once she understood that she could only pick FOUR, she thought it out carefully and chose sunflowers, cucumbers, mini-zinnias and cosmos. Her one request was for "pink, orange, red and yellow flowers". Liliput zinnias- the perfect solution. I gave her the tiny redwood trellis for her cukes and we had the lesson about waiting to plant things at the right time.
We selected corn, pole beans, marigolds and radishes for Bubs. He won't actually eat a radish, but they grow so fast and are fun to pick. Speedy results matter, when you're not quite four. I think he will get a kick out of the bean teepee, as well. He's happy, as long as he can dig in the dirt.
He helped me plant everything but the beans today.
I'd like to get Sissy to help me make little signs for their plots that we can put on stakes.
I'll have to keep an eagle eye on these, though I intend to let them do as much work as is practical.
And of course, they'll be helping me in the rest of the garden, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment